DIY Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do It Yourself Performance Car Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.

Go down 
+2
Mexican
PhillipM
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PhillipM

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Empty
PostSubject: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Basically, it started off as a 1969 VW Beetle. Then some american put bigger suspension on it to make it into a Baja model. Then another american dude chopped the entire body off that, and put a spaceframe in to make a beach buggy. And a bigger engine.

It competed in the Baja 500, dissapeared in a shed for many years, got shipped over here, new owner realised how fooked it was, and we bought it.

Then we did the sensible thing, chopped the front and rear suspension off that we wanted (torsion arms on a beetle so the whole units come off as a beam), whipped the engine and 'box, and built a new buggy around them.

Was originally intended as just a toy for playing in at minimal cost - didn't work....

Anyway, after playing with the 2180cc veedub motor in there around some fields, we took it to a local safari event, and promptly grenaded the motor....doh.
So then we chopped the back off, and stuck one of these in:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 27-10-07_1257

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Renesis

RX-8 Renesis motor, small, light, very compact, ideal replacement for a flat-4!

Anyway, lots happened, loooaaads of work since then, but I'll go through that later.
Shook it down on a drift day at Oulton:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. IMG_2505

Currently in the middle of an S2000 conversion though, as we've had enough of this:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Brokeagain2

It's been good fun though:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. FlatPhotographer

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. DSCF5580

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Img_1733

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 282936_464519340244684_997105031_n

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 6893285140_1ff5622442

^^Yep, I'm a photo whore, you'll soon find out I like lots of pictures Very Happy

It's about 880kg fully fuelled/oiled and including driver+codriver, so relatively light, it was ~260bhp+ with the Renesis, runs a Renault Master van transaxle (£20 from the scrappy, bit cheaper than the Sadev most competitors run at £12k...)
Suspension is VW-beetle based trailing arm system all around, heavily modified though, 4x remote canister Fox monotube coilovers at the rear and two at the front cobbled together out of Fox emulsions and some old Bilstein reservoirs, roughly 14" of travel at the rear (depends on tyres fitted), 12" at the front. Has secondary torsion bars at the back for progressive/adjustable bumpstops
Brakes are wilwood 2-pots up front, 4-pot Hispecs in the rear, Carbotech pads all around on some custom steel discs we made up, bias pedal box and it also has fiddle brakes (we can brake either side of the car independently to steer the car or lock a spinning rear wheel)
16 x 7J steelies at the rear (we made for it last year, has 15's as spares), 16 x 6J at the front, wrapped in 235/70R16's at the back and 195/70R16's up front, Fedima Extreme Evo Mud/Snow tyres.

Basically, lots of scrapyard bits, big hammer, welder, sorted.
Back to top Go down
Mexican

Mexican

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:36 pm

MINT !!!!

Love all the pics mate, propper weapon that !
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:16 am

that is absolutely brilliant, you'll have to let us know when your next taking it out to an event and we (well defanetly me) will come and support/ make cups of tea/ just watch lol, ha ha, awsome little monster Very Happy

scrapyard parts ftw alien
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:26 am

Definately good fun, unfortunately most of the events are a few hours trek!

Have a few more piccies:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. DSCF9408

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. DSCF9411

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Normal_EDWARD_SMITH_pic_1

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 27-02-10_2106

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Buggy1

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Normal_EDWARD_SMITH_pic_2

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Baden2195

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Baden1866

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. IMG_6540

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. SundayMud

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. WaterbeachWoods2

Back to top Go down
Trolling mctrollington

Trolling mctrollington

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:02 pm

That's fucking awesome. Like cum in a shores mouth awesome.
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:54 pm

It doesn't do too bad, even with a power deficit to the big boys and being 2wd with a clonky old van gearbox instead of 4wd with a sequential, it's usually well inside the the top 10 at most events.

Year before last we actually leading the championship halfway through the season until the engine shit itself :/
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 3:03 am

tell you what, this is absolute briliance, i'm getting mad ideas to actually get on and build the beetle ive allways wanted to, this little beasty is pure insparation,
thankyou
Back to top Go down
stephfanny93

stephfanny93

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Im wi shrek, i'll come support/make tea etc. this look fuckinggggg awesome.
Do you take passengers? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Deano-ST

Deano-ST

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:22 am

that s so epic,
I want Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:55 am

I would have sold it you this time last year Laughing

Bit of progress this week:

The worst part of all builds, just when you think you're nearly done, stripdown time!

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 942734_10151506216182935_871048052_n

Back together and new rear suspension mocked up. Reckon that'll handle a few bumps eh?

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130512_161857

Slow going, but the gofasterjuice can get to where it's needed now too, twin injectors:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130516_195359
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am

Space is getting rather tight, and there's still a fair bit of plumbing and heatshields to go in yet!

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130603_184319

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130603_184402

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130605_140732

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130605_140747
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 am

Sweet Jesus this things absolutely bonkers, makes Doris look tame compared lol, this some smart fueling goin on there, what ecu are you using? Deffo can't be stock now surely? And to say your running out of room is a little understated, and Christ how much rear travel do you need for them shocks? What are you planning to drive over grand canyon? I love the car it's properly bonkers Smile right up my street lol, keep up the good work, looks great
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 am

There's a touch over a foot and a half of rear suspension travel there Very Happy

It's running on a DTA S80, not exactly cheap, but reliable, upgradable, and fast and easy to map, pays for itself if you keep it on a few cars/engines.
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Sorry I've just realised, is that a super charger squeezed in there aswell?

for the ecu, what do u reckon to mega squirts? I'm looking into a stand-alone jobie for Doris, and was wondering what to do about a bass map, and what I should do about mapping it once setup? Simular to yourself it's not exactly an easy setup as its not exactly an out the box engine, so to speak Wink
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Of course, everyone should have a great big supercharger Very Happy

I've got a Megasquirt here to go on the Pug, nice cheap way of doing it so long as your up for plenty of fine tuning yourself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 7:39 am

Yeah, I've got no problems fine tuning ;-) lol
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 7:42 am

I've got a wideband on the Pug so I'm just going to run a relatively safe base ignition timing, get the fuelling close/slightly rich and then work on the timing once I'm happy it's not going to melt a piston.
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 10:19 am

Sound, I need to stop being tight and buy a wide band for Doris as well, I've got a cheep af gauge and that's pretty good for idle and of boost but bleeding useless on boost silent lol
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah, those gauges on a narrowband are fucking useless tbh Laughing
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:01 am

Bit of framework to make it easier to shape the rear bonnet/scoops, yeah, you know how I said the engine bay was quite tightly packed? Very Happy

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130609_182149

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. 20130609_182107
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 9:45 am

Shiny Shiny Shiny Shiny Shiny....

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. DSC00377
And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. DSC00378
And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. DSC00379

Much more fun than wiring anyway.
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 7:14 am

Getting there with the rear arms, Ed finished a jig and tacked up one side just to double check clearances:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. RearArms4

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. RearArms2

And new rear discs, same weight as the old ones but 320mm diameter instead of 300mm.

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Discs
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 pm

christ on a bike man alive, this is what child hood wet dreams are made of, that looks fuking awsome, i have to see this in the flesh at some point, amazing work, realy impressed:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

what can i say.... keep up the good work Wink 
Back to top Go down
PhillipM

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 4:05 am

After trying the double diaphragm clutch the other month, and almost getting a hernia, went hunting for a tiny pull-type hydraulic slave cylinder, eventually found one that would fit, so onto the other end:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. ClutchPedal

Yes, strange shaped bulkhead with the fuel tank behind plus a requirement for the fluid reservoir to be behind the bulkhead led to a strangely shaped pedal too. Only a mock up (the ally tube is too soft to support the bearings long term, probably make a sleeved one), but seems to work ok.

And everything fell off the car again so the rear geo. jig could go on to finalise the rear arms:

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. RearJig

Bit slow as were moving back into our big workshop now the power is getting sorted out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.   And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud. Empty

Back to top Go down

And the weekend toy. Tubes, hammers, welders and mud.
Page 1 of 1