DIY Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do It Yourself Performance Car Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Flexi pipe from mani

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
priestley666

priestley666

Flexi pipe from mani Empty
PostSubject: Flexi pipe from mani   Flexi pipe from mani EmptyMon May 14, 2012 2:39 am

Alright guys just got back from Cambridge and on way back my flexi pipe exploaded or something !! So any ideas where I can get one car isn't really usuble now as its just roaring and so slow like I haven't got a exhaust on Sad
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Flexi pipe from mani   Flexi pipe from mani EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:15 am

same problem as ryans van, the flexis tend to wear out faster if your engine mounts are nakerd, fastest way to sort it is buy a new downpipe section, think there listed at euro parts but you cam allways try chalanger tyres and exhausts etc,
the better way to do it is fit new engine mounts (better still polycarb jobies like super flex) and then have the system modified so it uses a spring loaded ball joint rather than a flexi, vauxhall use spring loaded ball joints on there exhausts but vw dont, the reason is that a spring loaded joint will never get a perfect seal as its constantly moving to acount for vibrations in the engine (exagerated when the engine mounts are nackerd) however the flexi sections dont leak, BUT............. they do wear out, its a spiral wound pipe, kinda like a spring, flexing all the time until it eventually snaps, usualy it starts leaking and within a weeks use it falls of Sad

so try and get the section you need as cheep as you can to keep you running for now
Back to top Go down
priestley666

priestley666

PostSubject: Re: Flexi pipe from mani   Flexi pipe from mani EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:25 am

i would hope that the engine mounts arent fucked i think tbh i hit a couple of nasty speedbumps in cambridge and nocked exhaust a few times hard ! but going back to tank saying he could hear a leak engine side of the car it could have been the flexi leaking ! i dont know can u run cars without flexis or spring things ? just like a solid pipe?
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Flexi pipe from mani   Flexi pipe from mani EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:33 am

yes and no, it will run but....... your putting adverse stress though the exhaust system, manifold and ultimatley your head on the engine, what youve got to remeber is vw designed that section to fail so that it woundnt hurt anything else, the manifold on youe engine is cast so without the flexi the manifold would effectivley have a giat lever pulling it down all the time until (as cast metal is quite britel) it would crack, or worse still, remeber that your head is alloy, a camparetvley weak metal that would warp and crack with the extra stain on it, but that would be after a couple of months use,
i know im not helpin much sorry mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flexi pipe from mani   Flexi pipe from mani Empty

Back to top Go down

Flexi pipe from mani
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DIY Performance :: For Sale! :: Wanted-
Jump to: