DIY Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do It Yourself Performance Car Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
boona575

boona575

POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. Empty
PostSubject: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:54 am

i know its not the be all and end all, some cars are all show, some are ment for luxury but be interesting to see everyones power to weight ratio's on here.

please dont for instance say well, (example)

mines a 1.4 golf with the rear seats removed and an air filter so has 20bhp more than standard and weight say 600KG because it wont!! be nice to get an idea of whats what and the lighter weight lower power guys may suprise themselves. gives you a nice target to work on.

heres how to work it out. this gives you BHP/per ton.

BHP of your car (at the flywheel), divide by its weight in KG (without driver) times 1000.
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: MY BHP/TON E36 328I COUPE   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 am

OK STANDARD MANUFACTURES FIGURES:

POWER AT THE FLYWHEEL:195BHP
CURB WEIGHT:1394KG

FIGURES NOW:

POWER AT THE FLYWHEEL:201BHP
CURB WEIGHT: 1251KG

201/1251 X 1000 = 161BHP/TON.

Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 am

ha ha ha, well i like this thread,
astra original weight is somthing like 1200kg
and the bhp was somthing like 65bhp

at a geuss id say the weight was around 1000kg, probably less, defanetly less when i get plastic windows,
and the power is approx 270-300bhp, but then theres nos, this is all a geuss though as its not been on a rolling rd yet, the figures ive used are taken from another forum with a couple of engines that are built to a slightly lowwer spec then mine alien

hope thats cool mate
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:51 am

let me do the math at your worst estimate!!! gunna be good, here goes

looking at minimum 270bhp/ton if you hit that!!!

i will use a comparitor site to find what your car should HAVE!! check this site

http://westfield-world.com/power-to-weight.html

dude your cars on par with a 911 GT3 obviously your gunna need shit hot tyres and many other factor put..........a porsche GT3!!!
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am

ha ha ha fuck me, well i'd betterno scratch that, i MUST/WILL invest in poly bushing and rose koint bearings for her because it won't take that kind of hammer as she is, gotta find a supplyer and find a gusset kit and seam weld her up and........... yeah ive got a few jobs to do before the ring rd lol Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:23 am

berry these gussets........you mean like triangle shaped jobbies that strengthen mounts?

i could just cut you some out of plate at work?

dude mines got a few poly bush's and you need it pal.

if your motor can hit that power its guna be undrivable in the wet!! lol

invest in good brakes and tyres i dont want you hurt fella, i mean seriously 270bhp in a fwd and dont take offence fairly old astra is phenommanel power mate. just try and make it reliable but knowing you you'll make it plain fast as fuck hahaha. i thought about turbo ing mine but the 2.8 is an alloy block which is great for handling and weight but cant handle a turbo reliably, the 2.5 however can take 400bhp on stock internals so i hear.

but in reality im buying an m3 evo in the next 6-12months and they are 321bhp standard!!!

you wont like my saying as its anti petrol head and anti berry BUT

THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. HAHA. LIKE IT?? BASICALLY A BIGGER CC N/A ENGINE BEATS A TURBO ALLLLLLLL DAY. LOL.

THINK AV STARTED SOMETHING affraid SORRY TURBO BOYS AND GIRLS. LOL

Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 am

ha ha none taken, the astre didnt start life with a plan it just happend, then call set a challenge, so i thought what the heck, why not,

and yeah its got red dot disks on the front with ceramic pads, ive got some 4 pots from a scooby but i need to work out the cylinder capacity to my master cylinder and then a bracket to mount them and then what disks i could use, aparantly saab did a 93 that had 315mm rotas? if i could track some of them down or maybe the rotas of a fiat coupe turbo, but depends on the ofset, but when i do that i'll have tosource bigger wheels as they wont go under stock 15's Suspect
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 am

oh dude if youve got discs and pads sorted and some good fluid i guess only you the driver after a hard drive somewhere will know if they are up to it.

my guess is you will be ok pal.

hope so..........if not more money more work as per eh!! lol
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm

130hp
310Nm torque

Weight......1800kg lol!

Need a remap! Then ill get:

180hp
410Nm

Smile

But i like my 50Mpg average

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slacky-boi/
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 pm

mmmmmmmm i bet we could reduce that cerb weight matey, then we could turn up the boost on the turbo, increase the fuel pressure and fit a dump valve (with a descent exhaust and air filter that will give a good 20bup increase and hopfully not effect the mpg to much) trouble is once you start to get a bit of power you get carried away, a nice little front mount would improve things to - i've got some spares in the garage Wink

he he alien
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

HAHA! yeah reducing the weight would be easy really! but i dont really wanna take owt out!

Its TDI, thought they didnt need a dump valve?

My after holiday (and then when i have money) plans consist of:

New hard/silicone pipework as mine a fucked! and after the remap itl be boosting at 27 ish PSI and just blow the old ones off!

Remap!!

new intercooler (front mount if possible)

Decat and possibly just lob a straight pipe on, no boxes at all!

But i want new wheels too! gotta decide what i want first, Show or Go! scratch
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:31 pm

go go go, ha ha, thats just me though, you've seen my projects, well, i know that boona would say get the wheels, and i know call would say to get it into the body shop and make it look sweet, but you build a car for yourself, no one else, you drive it and you pay for it, so its only right that YOU enjoy it, Very Happy ha ha, enjoy your car do what ever you feel is right and f*ck the haters, thats why this forum is here lol Wink
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm

haha! well said!

i need to fix the dented bottom first, then the choice comes!

anyway, ill stop taking the thread off topic now Wink
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:33 am

if you hit 180bhp, that gives you a 100bhp/ton, this is and depending on other things basically the starting ground of a car thats quick.

200bhp/ton is usually about as much as most need.

300+ is scary fast.

dude your cars cool looking, its an estate i'd say take nothing out, infact go OEM+ and bang some little interior extra's in.

do the boost pipes and remap first though.

your wheels are sweet anyway.

i always think, get a car mechanically sound
touch up any rust, prevent any also then just does as and what you want.

so many options or variations of different themes anythings possible. its all idividual choice
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:18 am

Cheers man! appreciate the comments Smile

A remap, cooler and decat is all i would really need to be happy with the power! would give big torque too! which i like Smile

will be keeping to the OEM+ style (ish) Wink wheels wise i want dish......so im feeling bbs rs (reps of course, haha!) Nice fat 9/10" rears!

Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 am

i come across loads of bbs rims from the bmw lads, some have VAG dailys so i will let you know if anything of interest pops up.

nothing like the midrange torque of a remapped TD.

i remember my 2.5TDS SE 5 series, the S ment you got intercooler and i had it mapped, quite quick for a big car but best thing was the effortless in gear power, steep hills were left in the rear view.

i miss all 2 tonne of it
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 am

Nice! If you could keep your eyes out that would be awesome! even if they are BMW PCD!

haha! my thoughts exactly on the torque! hills are effortless!
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:01 am

why is pcd same? or you talking about getting adaptors?

any specific wheels or just bbs anytype etc? i can always get loads of bmw wheels matey.

18"?
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 am

dude, i could do with a cheep smart wide set of wheels, 4x100, like an e30 i think Very Happy
Back to top Go down
boona575

boona575

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 am

Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 7:11 pm

boona575 wrote:
why is pcd same? or you talking about getting adaptors?

any specific wheels or just bbs anytype etc? i can always get loads of bmw wheels matey.

18"?

no its not, so yeah id be running adapters, but i was gonna run spacers anyway so its not a problem! obviously it depends on the offsets etc,

but there are a lot of BMW wheels I see on Mk4 golfs that i like!

Yeah 18"s Smile

wont be have any money till around november/december time tho!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.   POWER TO WEIGHT LIST. Empty

Back to top Go down

POWER TO WEIGHT LIST.
Page 1 of 1