DIY Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do It Yourself Performance Car Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...

Go down 
+3
tank2023
Andymac
Mexican
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mexican

Mexican

Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... Empty
PostSubject: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:32 am

Right ladies and DIYr's

Everything I seem to try and insure is either between £4,000 <-- 2004 corrola 1.6 VVTI

to around £6,000 <-- Tanks Astra 1.6 , Micra 1.0 , Polo 1.0

now my ideal car would be a 1.4 civic but thats £6,000 .... But as a learner its £1,000 for year ...

After getting one years no claims and if I then pass <-- driving instructer said I was 4 hours away from passing rougly

it drops to £2,000

So what are your suggestions ? Have a nice car that I want but be a learner for another year in the hope that Ill be able to afford £2,000 next year

or pass my test first and hope Insurance drops / Maybe one of you know a trick on how to reduce insurance for a young male ?

Ps. I don't want a sex change just to lower my insurance lol

Thanks - Mexican
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 am

ur askin the wrong companies for quotes by the sounds of it and maybe settin ur hopes too high for a first car, bigger engines, higher spec, desirability of a car always puts the price up, if u got somethin like a 1.25 fiesta on an x plate you're probably lookin at £1500 roughly, if u look at a 2006 1.4 astra sxi you're lookin at about £2500, get a shitter an make it better yourself dont jump straight into a nice new car with a decent size engine cos you'll pay through the nose mate
Back to top Go down
Mexican

Mexican

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:56 am

well ive even been trying 1.0 micras mate Razz

This would be my dream car http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-TYPE-R-REPLICA-1-4-VERY-REAR-/180979212811?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a2333a20b#ht_1698wt_932

Im searching " Pay as you go " insurance now as u can still get 1 years no claims see what this brings back hehe
Back to top Go down
Mexican

Mexican

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am

Premium £963.38 / Month

What kind of 18 year old has that amount of money ? lol

guess I might have to keep on repping the buss pass at this rate for a while longer lol
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Mexican wrote:
well ive even been trying 1.0 micras mate Razz

This would be my dream car http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-TYPE-R-REPLICA-1-4-VERY-REAR-/180979212811?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a2333a20b#ht_1698wt_932

Im searching " Pay as you go " insurance now as u can still get 1 years no claims see what this brings back hehe

Your dream car is a Category C write off?!?! You my friend are a french fry short of a bacon sandwich lol
Back to top Go down
tank2023

tank2023

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Insurance has gone stupid
Depends what damage it got cat c write off for, some are just stolen recoverd with nothing wrong with them or some bodywork, take them for a vic check and theyre worth full market value again!!
Easy way to make a few quid if you get them cheap enough
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:40 pm

bell/elephant/admaril

one off payment for the year

1.0ltr beast

Parents on insurance as named drivers

my first year when i was 17 was £2100 on a 1.2 corsa but that was paying monthy

Built up my no claims for 3 years, then bought the car i wanted

Now insurance on the 130tdi is £650 one off payment with all mods declared

Just get a little car, get insured in your name and build up some no claims!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slacky-boi/
Deano-ST

Deano-ST

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:59 am

slackyboi wrote:
bell/elephant/admaril

1.0ltr beast

DONT do that!!

There clamping down on it big time.
Its called fronting and its illegal. I know a lad who did it and his insurance company found out, insurance=void.
And now his insurance is MEGA expensive because he has been refused insurance.

yes you MIGHT get away with it, but if your luck is anything like mine, youll get caught Sad
Then your fooked Crying or Very sad

Just my 2pence worth, feel free to totaly ignore it Razz
Back to top Go down
L_S_W

L_S_W

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:06 am

Deano-ST wrote:
slackyboi wrote:
bell/elephant/admaril

1.0ltr beast

DONT do that!!

There clamping down on it big time.
Its called fronting and its illegal. I know a lad who did it and his insurance company found out, insurance=void.
And now his insurance is MEGA expensive because he has been refused insurance.

yes you MIGHT get away with it, but if your luck is anything like mine, youll get caught Sad
Then your fooked Crying or Very sad

Just my 2pence worth, feel free to totaly ignore it Razz

its not illegal to have them as Named drivers, its only illegal if you have one of them as the Main driver and you're the Named driver even though it's your car Smile

&
Try Elephant, my 1.2 corsa was £2400 one off payment for 10 month which was the cheapest i found by a long way
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:13 am

heres an idea, what about classic insurance? on sau an 800cc mini or 1.3 shitreon 2cv? maybe even fiat 500 ( well not an actuall 500 cos there silly bolox prices but am sure they did a little one called a 25 or somthing like that) manybe even a 1ltr nova- there over 15yrs old so classed as classic cars for insurance purposes, and the nice thing is old motor dont have stupid things like ecu's so putting a massive carbed engine into them is easy (ish)
so anything you get thats 15plus years old we could make rapid as fook, but you'd still get cheep insurance

and if any one mentions telling your insurance about an engine conversion, bear this in mind (although these are my personal views/thoughts and as such should not be acted upon) third party insurance means that anyone you hit is paid for by your insurance - you fix your own car, any one hits you - there insurance repair your car, simples,
how ever, if you where to have an acident and you where to hit a pedestrian then the goal posts start to move, however, the leson will be that racing is for the track and deffanetly not in pedestianised areas alien

yes there is a big problem with the goverment changing the rules on modified cars 8point system, but ive yet to meet a copper that knows how to enforce it,
copper- excuse me son, whats that great big cheese greater sticking out the front of your car?
me- air conditioning
copper- pop you bonnet son
me- ok
(pops bonnet- turbo clowing red in the night air)
copper- thats not a 1.6
me- yes it is, its as i bought it
copper so whats this (pointing at turbo)
me - air conditioning
copper - (looks v confused) oh, ok

point being ive yet to meet a copper that can understand the logistics of an engine beyond a sticker thats says 2 ltr, etc, one engine can be made to look like another Wink
thats my thoughts any ways
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:28 pm

as LSW said,

Having my parents on MY insurance as named drivers is completely legal! i dont know why it puts the price down, but for me it dropped it be £400! bounce bounce

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slacky-boi/
Deano-ST

Deano-ST

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 am

Sorry my mistake I mis read it, for some reason i read it as you as named and the 'rents as named...... Embarassed

my bad!
Back to top Go down
Deano-ST

Deano-ST

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 am

classic insurance could be a good shout, but read the small print as to weather or not you build NCB as most classic policies dont.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...   Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ... Empty

Back to top Go down

Insurance for a young and ripe 18 year old ...
Page 1 of 1