DIY Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do It Yourself Performance Car Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Andymac

Andymac

Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc Empty
PostSubject: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am

Anyone be available sometime next week to help me remove old exhaust and fit a decat? Also might need a pipe fabricating onto the end of it (stainless weld from cat straight thru or maybe to original backbox not made my mind up yet) anyone up to the job? Basically the deal is a lad from another forum is gonna swap me his decat for my cat and my 2nd section so I will need a pipe from the decat back or from decat to backbox, all going to plan I will be getting the decat on monday and he will be pickin up my exhaust sections on friday or earlier if its sorted quickly lol

if anyone can help me it would be awesome as I don't have the tools and wouldnt be confident doin this myself, also if I need to get any gaskets or parts let me know!

Let me know either on here or text/ring me 07749 655 909

Thanks in advance guys!
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am

Why does it feel like my arms getting twisted scratch
lol!
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 pm

There is an old transit exhaust at shreks if u need some pipe! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slacky-boi/
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 pm

shrek wrote:
Why does it feel like my arms getting twisted scratch
lol!

Lol nothin like that mate, I'm not gonna ask anyone personally cos I don't wanna put them on the spot that would be rude but if anyone wojld like to volunteer their help it would be great, I'm quite handy with the tools myself but as I said I wouldn't be too confident doin it on my own without someone there to offer a trained eye haha, will be fun to release the horses that are strangled by the cat and boxes and I'm hoping to get the 'owl' out slightly from this, the old girl should sound sweet so it should be a fun job haha!

RE: the transit exhaust - would the pipe be the right size to fit the passat? Also is it up for grabs?

Obviously I'll sort out some sort of compensation for any services offered I do like to pay my way but I don't get paid til friday and crimbo is around the corner so champagne is off the menu so to speak haha!

Thanks in advance for any help offered! (if any haha)

Andy
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Mine owls like...........an owl... Lol!

The transit exhaust is what i got from the scrappys to do mine! By chance it was the right size for my 130pd! Feel free to take what you need off it! Got it for free anyway as he chucked it in with the rest of the stuff i bought!

Thats unless shrek has got emotionaly attached to it? Lol
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Thats mint mate thanks! Is that ok with you shrek or do u already have plans for it?
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Andy are you coming on saturday?
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm

slackyboi wrote:
Andy are you coming on saturday?

Is that the rolling road meet? I can't mate I'm workin all weekend :-( if i wasn't workin I would have come down with u all but wouldn't have done a dyno run cos the cars still standard power-wise (hopefully not for long tho haha) I am gutted cos it sounds like an awesome day and brilliant opportunity for some pictures but I hope u all enjoy it
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 12:16 pm

haha, nope im not emotionaly atattched, but physically........ yeah ........ lol, some of it is now fitted to my jeep lol, but yeah, should have enough to sort another decat, as for when?

well i'll be the first to admit im a busy bast*rd but im sure we can sort summet, probably more next weekend alien
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 7:49 pm

no worries andy ill see you next time!

haha! glad its come into use!

The way i have got it in my head is that andy is getting a decat pipe as a trade for his cat?
Does that mean downpipe with decatted section? so it would just be a job of atatching the decat pipe to the rest of the exhaust?
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm

slackyboi wrote:
no worries andy ill see you next time!

haha! glad its come into use!

The way i have got it in my head is that andy is getting a decat pipe as a trade for his cat?
Does that mean downpipe with decatted section? so it would just be a job of atatching the decat pipe to the rest of the exhaust?

It is a swap for my cat & my '2nd section' which I guess is the middle pipe? So I will need a new pipe putting in which suits me fine anyway cos I been wantin to get rid of all the boxes, have u got a straight thru pipe too slackyboi? As in no middlebox/backbox/cat at all?

I'm hoping to get it done tuesday as its my day off and he is picking my parts up from me on friday when he leaves selby and goes back home to slough but thanks anyway shrek, worst case scenario I'll just have a downpipe and decat fitted and have to sort the rest of the plumbing out at the weekend lol can anyone tell me whats involved in taking the cat off? Would it be easy for me to take off on my own with a socket set and some axel stands? What sort of gaskets do i need?
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 9:03 pm

ah right! so cutting and welding is still needed then? what car are you getting it off?
Unless your swapping it for a bolt on decat, id say cash ur cat in! i got £38!!! unless your doing it to help the guy out!

Mine is straight thru, no boxes, and it is loud.....but not stupid (motorway cruising is fine)
Could meet you if your wondering weather to go straight?
If yours is like mine you will just have a Cat and a rear backbox (no mid box)

Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

slackyboi wrote:
ah right! so cutting and welding is still needed then? what car are you getting it off?
Unless your swapping it for a bolt on decat, id say cash ur cat in! i got £38!!! unless your doing it to help the guy out!

Mine is straight thru, no boxes, and it is loud.....but not stupid (motorway cruising is fine)
Could meet you if your wondering weather to go straight?
If yours is like mine you will just have a Cat and a rear backbox (no mid box)

Its a bolt on decat from another passat b5.5 tdi, the guy was gonna sell his decat and buy a 2nd hand cat and centre pipe so I just offered to swap, easier for both of us then. what sort of sound u get? is it throaty and decent sounding or is it just like a loud clangy diesel engine lol, mine is a 1.9tdi 130 so i think we got same engine so maybe i wont have a midbox either then lol
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Sweet! makes sense to swap then! Smile

I think it sounds great, some would say it sounds shite lol!

very much like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxkLgjiImkE

if you are around on sunday, could meet n ill show you?
(also might have someone interested in your laptop!)
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 pm

slackyboi wrote:
Sweet! makes sense to swap then! Smile

I think it sounds great, some would say it sounds shite lol!

very much like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxkLgjiImkE

if you are around on sunday, could meet n ill show you?
(also might have someone interested in your laptop!)

I'm workin sunday til about 4/5 so after that might be ok to meet up for a bit, was gonna ask if u were gonna lowdown on monday but for some reason there isn't one advertised? Any ideas why?
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Nobody available tuesday then lol? This will be a challenge haha, even if its someone without any mechanical skills just a decent pair of hands cos apparently takin a cat off without a proper ramp is a 2 man job haha!
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 am

Ok last query before I throw this idea out, I got the decat this mornin andstarted the job, looking at the car the cat isn't gonna come off without taking out the driveshaft and possibly the engine mount, the garage want £85 to do it which I just cannot afford, anyone got any ideas? If I can't sort it I'll just have to cancel it Sad
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 am

Andymac wrote:
Ok last query before I throw this idea out, I got the decat this mornin andstarted the job, looking at the car the cat isn't gonna come off without taking out the driveshaft and possibly the engine mount, the garage want £85 to do it which I just cannot afford, anyone got any ideas? If I can't sort it I'll just have to cancel it Sad

Only just seen the replys! sorry for the lack! Lowdown is the 3rd monday of the month, so next monday! Smile

Can you not just unbolt the exhaust from the turbo? take the whole lot off and sort it away from the car?
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 am

there isn't enough room between the chassis and the driveshaft to pull the cat through i don't think, it does look hard/impossible to do with the driveshaft in place and without cuttin the cat, proper stuck now lol
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:13 am

sounds a rate pain! after all.....your engine is turned 90 degrees from mine!

my cat was about half way down the car!
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm

thatsb a right kick in the bollox, i forgot that the passats had a gay engine setup, your probably right, the shafts will more than likley have to come out to give you some room, if you have a word with jared,dunnoif he an help, but hes v good with modernish dubs Smile
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Had some new info:

If I remove the airbox all I have to do is jack the car up as high as I can, unbolt the cat from the turbo, pull the downpipe out of the sleeve and the cat/downpipe section will come up through the engine bay (turn in a corkscrew motion to clear driveshafts etc) because the car is jacked up there is a lot more leverage space underneath the car!

According to the lads on ukpassats who have done it to their own cars it is possible even for an amateur like myself lol so I'm gonna crack on with it on sunday!

Once again if anyone is available for a few hours (about 3hrs someone has said is more than enough to do it) then a case of beer/similar priced reward/cash is up for grabs (sorry it's not a big reward, if I wasn't havin to be careful with money I'd just take it to the garage lol)

Any help is appreciated and I might even chuck in a 'Wickes' (best of brinsworth) bacon/sausage/similar breakfast orientated product sandwich as part of the deal, that has to be a deal clincher haha!

pm on here or 07749 655 909

Thanks

Andy
Back to top Go down
shrek
Admin
shrek

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 2:03 am

Think I can be around after 2 if that's any good to ya matey?
Back to top Go down
Andymac

Andymac

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 pm

That would be awesome mate u sure u don't mind? Would it be easier for u if i came to you? You've probably got better tools than me lol I have to borrow em off people haha, think its only gonna be a jack, socket set and maybe a rubber mallet to whack the centre sleeve out lol along with screwdrivers/socket set to remove the airbox.

Whats easiest for u? gimme a text 07749 655 909 cos I'm not on here all the time lol
Back to top Go down
slackyboi

slackyboi

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Id be free from about 4/5 ish!

If id be much use is another matter! But if u need some more hands give me a shout! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc   Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc Empty

Back to top Go down

Help fitting a decat/removing cat etc
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next